Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Creating is Better than Dissecting

_______________________________
"...provides me insight that maybe information on creating something beautiful and practical serves a much better purpose on the internet than digging into topics that are already over thought..."
_______________________________


It’s time for an intermission, to stand up and give the ole noggin a break. No political ranting, no personal confessions, no community service, no cerebral diagnostics, and certainly no preaching!!
Now it’s time to eat crow. I began this blog to find an outlet to my right or left winged opinions and observations.  Surely items that would cause my readers to react, in protest or in support.. or even better to look at day to day situations in a different light. And I will take reward in the fact that I have achieved a small taste of this in the limited time I have spent typing away.
The mechanics behind a blog are extremely interesting. With a click of a button I can see traffic statistics; how many visitors, from what continent, right down to an hour by hour analysis. I assure my readers and subscribers, your privacy is protected, as I am unable to see specifics as to who my visitors are, I am only able to see numbers and continents and how my site was found. Also I am able to see the source of the referrals such as Facebook, Google, and other Blogs etc.
Why am I eating crow? My son was interested in my blogging and decided to set up his own blog. His interest and amazing skills at tying Salmon flies seemed to be a natural topic that may perk reader’s interest. So the inevitable question was aired last night. “Dad, so how many hits on your blog?”
I was proud to provide what I considered flattering numbers to him. Of course the internet community would be far more interested in the deep thoughts and analysis I shared with the world, than it would be in s step by step instruction on how to tie a “Blue Charm” Salmon fly. And of course the diversity of my thoughts in several controversial topics would draw readers from many different regions of interest, far more than a description and photographs of a fly vice holding a hook and feathers and thread.
I was wrong. Very wrong! As he is my son, and I am extremely proud that he has done a fantastic job with his very first post. His visitor statistics blew the doors off of mine.
Does this discourage me from continuing my brain dumping here??... not one little bit. What it does do is provides me insight that maybe information on creating something beautiful and practical serves a much better purpose on the internet than digging into topics that are already over thought. I believe this observation on human nature has changed my outlook on us more than public interest debates on CBC radio and in the newspapers. Thanks son!

_______________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment